POETRY EDITOR: Michele M. Graf
We want vivid, deep, bold poems, with a clear voice, stripped of clichés. Engage all our senses. If you rhyme, use
fresh images. Every word, every syllable, must work.
1. Poems submitted must be the original work of the sender. Reprints are accepted; please include where and
when your poem was published. (See General Guidelines.)
2. NEW: You may submit a MAXIMUM of 40 lines of poetry TOTAL – *excluding stanza breaks*
– divided among up to FOUR poems, per quarter.* (Example: a 25-line poem, a 10-line poem, and a 5-line poem.
Or, one 40-line poem, etc.)
Please use stanza breaks, now that you don’t have to include them in your line count. Please insert "//"
on stanza-break lines, and leave an additional blank line between stanzas.
3. If you exceed 40 lines of poetry, all will be returned. You can fix them and resubmit.
4. All styles are accepted, free verse to structured format (sonnet, haiku, Villanelle, sestina, etc.), which
should be transparent vehicles for your poems. Please include a brief (one or two sentence) description of the form. No gratuitous
violence or sex.
5. I try to acknowledge receipt of poems and status within six weeks. If you haven’t heard by that time,
check that I got it. *We publish quarterly (March, June, September, December).
How To Submit (note some changes!):
1. Use Arial 12 pt. font only.
2. Single space the lines of text. Please insert "//" on stanza-break lines, and leave an additional blank
line between stanzas.
3. Use * to indicate *italicized text* and _ to signify _underlined text._
4. Paste your poem(s) into the body of your e-mail. Attachments will not be opened.
Send to PoetryEditor.ApollosLyre@gmail.com
6. Subject line: Poetry, [Your Name], [Total Line Count], [Number of Poems]
Examples: SUBJECT: Poetry,
Emily Dickinson, 36 lines, 3 poems
SUBJECT: Poetry, H. W. Longfellow, 40 lines, one
7. In the body of your e-mail include:
Your Name. If you use a pen name, provide that.
Your E-mail Address
Poem Titles with line count
8. Bold your Title, skip a line, then begin your poem. Skip three lines between poems.
9. Include a BRIEF bio (80 words max), with a link to your website/blog if you have one, at the time
you send your poems.